Another locomotive seen around Bigg City Port, the goods engine, has a lower whistle-sound, but features North American styling similar to that on Puffa.
Puffa is frequently shown to be a firm friend to the Star Fleet. His relationship with the Zero Fleet has not been established, however, Zorran, Zebedee, and Zak are heard persuading him to escape from the flames in the episode, Munitions. Puffa speaks with a Birmingham accent.
Like many other non-boat characters and faceless boats, he communicates with a megaphone, which sticks out of his cab window.
Puffa is based on a DRG Class 80, but modified with many American features including an American-style whistle, oil-burning headlight, diamond smokestack and a cowcatcher. He does not have front buffers. However, he has rear buffers to match the British rolling stock.
- Sunshine (cameo)
- Munitions (does not speak)
- High Tide (not named, does not speak)
- Ghosts (cameo)
- Up River
- In Salty's Lighthouse, Puffa was briefly referred to as "Stanley", and then later "Chooch".
- Puffa is the only engine in TUGS that had a speaking role.
- In the Finnish dub, Buffa is called Tussu.