Another locomotive seen around Bigg City Port, the goods engine, has a lower whistle-sound, but features North American styling similar to that on Puffa.
Puffa is frequently shown to be a firm friend to the Star Fleet. His relationship with the Zero Fleet has not been established, however, Zorran, Zebedee, and Zak are heard persuading him to escape from the flames in the episode, Munitions. Puffa speaks with a Birmingham accent.
Like many other non-boat characters and faceless boats, he communicates with a megaphone, which sticks out of his cab window.
BasisPuffa is based on a DRG Class 80, but modified with many American features including an oil-burning headlight, diamond smokestack, a cowcatcher and an American-style whistle.
- Sunshine (cameo)
- Munitions (does not speak)
- High Tide (not named, does not speak)
- Ghosts (cameo)
- Up River
- In Salty's Lighthouse, Puffa was briefly referred to as "Stanley", and then later "Chooch". the name "Stanley" was for a narrow gauge character in The Railway Series who its sister show was based on. a character introduced in one of the movie specials from this show bares the same name
- Puffa is the only Railway Character in TUGS that had a speaking role.
- In the Finnish dub, Puffa is called Tussu.