Another tank engine seen around Bigg City Port, the Goods Engine, has a lower whistle-sound, but features North American styling similar to that on Puffa.
Puffa is frequently shown to be a firm friend to the Star Fleet. His relationship with the Zero Fleet has not been established, however, Zorran, Zebedee, and Zak are heard persuading him to escape from the flames in the episode, Munitions. Puffa speaks with a Birmingham accent.
Like many other non-boat characters and faceless boats, he communicates with a megaphone, which sticks out of his cab window.
BasisPuffa is based on the DRG Class 80, but modified with many American features including an oil-burning headlight, diamond smokestack, a cowcatcher and an American-style whistle.
- Sunshine (cameo)
- Munitions (does not speak)
- High Tide (not named; does not speak)
- Ghosts (cameo)
- Up River
- In Salty's Lighthouse, Puffa was simply just referred to as "The Train" for most of the time. In 1 episode however, he was referred to as Chooch.
- However, in the SL episode, 8 is too Much, if you listen closely, you can hear somebody say, "Hurry, Puffa!"
- Puffa is the only locomotive character in Tugs that had a speaking role.
- His whistle sounds like a Star Brass 5 Chime.
- In the Finnish dub, Puffa is called Tussu.
- It is unknown where Puffa's model is, though he may have been made into scrap setdressing for TUGS' sister show, Thomas & Friends.