|This article is about the switcher. You may be looking for the episode.|
Sunshine is Captain Star's seventh and youngest tug, a small harbour switcher who is used for a wide variety of tasks around Bigg City Port. He has many capabilities that range from the towing of barges to liner docking operations. In his first assignment from the Star Fleet, he was pushed by the Z-Stacks Zorran who caused the situation to be a disaster. Like the rest of the Star Fleet, Sunshine is based on the tugs of San Francisco waters from the 1920s.
Sunshine can be occasionally cheeky at times, but he is very strong willed nevertheless. He is quick-witted and takes action swiftly without hesitation. He is generally level-headed and cheerful, and takes on most jobs with little complaining. He also appears to have a slight crush on Sally Seaplane.Sunshine also can figure things out very quickly, as in Jinxed where he points out that each of jinxed tug Boomer's unfortunate mishaps occurs right after Ten Cents sounds his steam hooter, suggesting a cause-and-effect relationship. He's also more open-minded about unusual phenomena (such as ghosts) than Ten Cents is. On the subject of whistles, Sunshine's is middle-to-high pitched and has a distinct 'whooping' sound which could best be described as 'upbeat', suiting his personality and name. Sunshine also has the highest pitched whistle of the Star Tugs.
Sunshine usually works with Ten Cents, the Star Fleet's first and larger switcher. They have shared many adventures, almost to the extent that it is impossible to imagine one without the other, and they are both the best of friends.
Sunshine has a rather soft Newcastle (or Geordie) accent and whistles most of the time when he speaks, because he is missing some of his front teeth. He wears a red, flat cap on his head.
Sunshine is painted in the Star Fleet's corporate livery. This consists of a black hull, a yellow superstructure, white mast and an American flag-styled red, white and blue funnel. His name is painted on the sides of his bow in white and he has the number "7" on his funnel. He was originally painted in the Salvage Fleet's white livery. He wears a red cap.
In the US series, Salty's Lighthouse, which reused edited episodes of Tugs, Sunshine was portrayed as a female character (along with Captain Star and Little Ditcher), and was also Ten Cents' little sister.
- Shaun Prendergast (TUGS)
- Lenore Zann (Salty's Lighthouse)
- Yūko Mita (Japan)
- Pauli Virta (Finland)
- Elise Langenoja (Finland; one line in Jinxed)
- He is referenced in the Theodore Tugboat episode, "Bedford's Big Move", when the Harbour Master receives cookies that are in his shape. Similar cookies are also seen in "Theodore's Bad Dreams".
- In the first episode, Sunshine, he appeared in his original river livery with a plain coat of white paint. This is because Sunshine was originally a member of the Salvage Fleet. But in the end was repainted with the Star Fleet colours (yellow, red, white and blue).
- His model was sold to The Star Tugs Company.
- Unlike the other tugs, Sunshine does not have a sign on his stern that shows where he is from.
- It is currently unknown where Sunshine's face masks are. His scared face mask is the only one in the possession of the Star Tugs Company. In April 2015, a new happy face was made and designed for Sunshine using a 3D printer.
- Although it may not be his basis, there was actually a real tugboat named Sunshine. This particular tug worked on the River Thames in the UK until it was scrapped in 1960.
- Shaun Prendergast based Sunshine's voice on a clown called "Gypsy Jackie" his father had created for him, as well as a child he once knew who spoke with a whistle.
- "Hey! I hope you haven't spoken too soon!" - Sunshine, Jinxed
|Ten Cents • Big Mac • O.J. • Top Hat • Warrior • Hercules • Sunshine|
|Captain Star • Grampus|
|Billy Shoepack • Sunshine (formerly) • Dynamite Barges|