Please visit the Thomas & Friends wiki which is based on the sister series of TUGS.
Thomas The Tank Engine/Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends, since 2003 shortened to Thomas & Friends, is the better-known sister show of TUGS. After TUGS was cancelled, many of the models were sold to the show's producer, Britt Allcroft, and used for Thomas and Friends props throughout the remote model series until it hit full CGI animation in 2009. Some of these models were generated along with the CGI Series, such as Big Mickey & S.S. Vienna (S.S. Roxstar).
- O.J. - Before appearing in Thomas & Friends, O.J.'s model was repainted white, replacing the yellow paint. The model was then also re-named to "Lakesider III". In the fourth season of Thomas & Friends, Lakesider III was used as a paddle boat at Lakeside, located on the Skarloey Railway. It was seen whenever Lakeside appeared. The wheelhouse of the model was then replaced with O.J.'s original head in late 2012. After it was purchased by the Star Tugs Company in early 2013, it was refitted with its original smokestack and glasses; the model is now owned by the Star Tugs Company.
- S.S. Vienna - When S.S. Vienna first appeared in Thomas & Friends, it kept the same livery as it had from TUGS, the model later gained red smokestacks, both these changes were only seen in the third season. In the fourth season, the S.S. Vienna's model was given a black livery and black & white smokestacks; the model was also re-named to "S.S. Roxstar" ever since the model kept the same changes. The model was seen at Knapford Harbour in seasons three and four, it was then seen at Brendam Docks since the fifth season.
- Big Mickey - Before appearing in Thomas & Friends, Big Mickey's megaphones were removed, the model was then used as a crane at Knapford Harbour in seasons three and four, it was then shifted to Brendam Docks since the fifth season.
- Fultan Ferry - The Fultan Ferry was only seen in the fifth season episode, "Gordon & The Gremlin"; it was used as a ferry at Brendam Docks. This model was only seen once, and no changes were made.
- Izzy Gomez - Izzy Gomez's model was used as a tramp steamer in seasons three and four at Knapford Harbor; the model was then shifted to Brendam Docks in the fifth season.
- The Shrimpers - Before appearing in Thomas & Friends, the shrimpers megaphones were removed; then the models were repainted and seen in different locations across the island. Some of them even gained names.
- Coast Guard - The Coast Guard's model was seen as one of the boats at Arlesbrugh in the third season; it was only seen in the third season.
- A Schooner - A schooner's model was first seen at Arlesbrugh Harbor in the third season episode, "All At Sea". It was then seen docked on the beach in the fifth season episode, "Something In The Air".
- Other Boats - Lots of other boats which were used as rolling stock in TUGS made several appearances in Thomas & Friends. A fishing boat was seen in the third season episode, All At Sea. It is unknown if the model made any other appearances. A cargo boat was also seen as one of the boats Arlesbrugh in the third season; it is also unknown if the model appeared again. There were no changes made to these models.
- A Tractor Model - A tractor model was also used as rolling stock in TUGS; it was used as a scrap dressing set. The model also made several appearances in Thomas & Friends, and it was only seen in the third season. The model was not modified.
- China Clay Cars - The China Clay Cars used in the second season of Thomas & Friends were later used as goods cars pulled by Puffa and the Goods Engine in TUGS. These were the only models in TUGS that were borrowed from its sister show, Thomas & Friends.
Almost all appearances of TUGS characters were modified in some way to fit the surrounding scenes of the live action Thomas & Friends, filmed on the same scale, whether it be face removal or entirely new modifications. The S.S. Vienna along with Big Mickey survived just as they were through all seasons since season three; as a result, they are the only two of the TUGS survivors to make it into the CGI Series. A crane model was also generated along with the CGI Series; it is only seen at Brendam Docks. Big Mickey even gained a face during the twenty-first season and a voice of his own.